Homes for Sale in Kailua, HI
Commercial and Residential Real Estate development in Kailua is scarce and this exactly how the locals wish to keep it. Kailua was once a sleepy little beach town but Coastal Magazine features and Instagram tags have put it on the world's stage, attracting tourists, buyers, and renters from all over the globe.
Any new development proposed in the region is met with stiff opposition from the community as it attempts to preserve what little is left of Old Kailua. On the other side of the coin, lack of inventory puts Kailua homes and condos in short supply and high demand which is a sure fire way to send prices through the roof. Check out the Kailua Real Estate Market Trend below that highlights average prices over the last 40 years:
If you're moving to area you'll be pleased to find one of the widest varieties of home types on the island. The presence of multiple Kailua and Lanikai Beach, Enchanted Lake, and multiple canals see many homes with water frontage; one Hawaii's best natural amenities. Homes in Kailua benefit from just a short walk or bike ride from any beach in the neighborhood, and same is true for premier convenience to Wholefoods and Kailua Town.
KAILUA REAL ESTATE MARKET INSIGHTS
- Kailua Condos will be limited to the options in Kailua Town, with most above the 9th floor achieving ocean views if located on the ocean side of the building. from $450,000 - $1.2M while Kailua homes range from tear-down conditions of roughly $700,000 up to the ultra luxury Kailua beach home estates of nearly $28M.
- Top Pick: Ka Malanai by D.R. Horton Hawaii
- Top Pick: Ka Malanai by D.R. Horton Hawaii
- Single Family Homes in Kailua will range from modest plantation style cottages in the $800,000 to the multi-million dollar luxury beachfront estates of the Beachside and Lanikai neighborhoods.
- Kailua home prices are highest near the beach, and you'll typically find the larger lot sizes closer to the beach as well. Prices will gradually decrease as you near the mountains and move away from the heart of Kailua Town.
POPULAR KAILUA NEIGHBORHOODS
Now this is completely subjective, but in being a Kailua Real agent as well owning a few homes in the neighborhood myself, I feel qualified to give you a generalized hierarchy of how most Kailua realtors and buyers view neighborhoods in the region. The list below itemizes the neighborhoods with closest beach proximity and works back towards the mountains. Conveniently enough, this is how Kailua prices behave as well. There is also consideration given the the neighborhoods with the most "mind share," which is why Lanikai tops the list. It has the most brand awareness!
- Lanikai Real Estate offers a lifestyle of living in a post card. Enjoy front row seats to one of the best beaches in the world with powdery white sand, every hue of crystal blue waters, and the Mokulua "Twin" Islands just begging you to visit them by kayak or stand-up paddleboards. Average lot sizes are 10,000 - 12,000sqft and Lanikai homes for sale will range from $1.2M to the ultra luxurious Lanikai Beach houses for sale up to $21M. Main thoroughfares are Aalapapa Drive(further from the beach) and Mokulua Drive(closest to the beach).
- Beachside is the neighborhood in Kailua that runs the length of North Kalaheo avenue, offering Kailua Beachfront Homes or homes just a blog away from the beach. Kailua Beachside homes for sale usually start around $2M with lot sizes averaging 10,000 to 12,000sqft however, there are a few 1+ acre lots that offer expansive Kailua Beach Estates upwards of $27,000,000. You will see some of the most expensive homes in Hawaii here, and definitely on Oahu.
- Kuulei Tract real estate offers some of the closest homes to Kailua Town, and only 1-2 blocks from Kailua Beach. These homes typically offer stunning landscapes over their 10,000 - 12,000sq lots, many of which with pools. Kuulei Tract homes for sale range from $1.5M to $2.2M and offer premier convenience to all of Kailua's best features.
- Kalama Tract real estate features the homes just a block back from Kailua Beach, on the mountain side of North Kalaheo Avenue. These are some of my favorite homes in Kailua as they're just a stone's throw from the beach, they feature killer lots and curb appeal, yet they don't see the excessive price points of direct beach access. Kalama Tract homes for sale are limited, they're hard to let go, and lot sizes are generally between 10,000-12,000sqft. Plan on prices ranging from $1.3M to $1.8M
- Aikahi Park is home to the favorite Halloween destination for trick or treating in Kailua so if you're not the festive type, you'll want to turn off all your lights on October 31st! This feature is due largely in part to the wide sidewalks, lightly trafficked streets, and large yard spaces that provide an ample canvas for your Halloween set ups. It's not uncommon to see a number of Aikahi homes for sale with pools either. Plan for lot sizes of around 10,000sq, direct access to Marine Corp Base Hawaii, and prices between $1.1M - $1.6M.
- Coconut Grove real estate offers you premier Kailua Beach access within a 1-mile radius and mostly quaint plantation style cottages. Not a whole lot of sidewalks in Coconut Grove but that doesn't stop bikers and runners. Everybody's on the move to the beach here so stay alert when driving through the neighborhood. Average Coconut Grove homes for sale range from $800,000 to $950,000 with smaller lot sizes than most of Kailua. At 5,000 to 7,500sqft, you better hope you like your neighbors.
- Enchanted Lake real estate gets a little more suburban with wide streets and sidewalks, and large level lot sizes. Some homes for sale in Enchanted Lake will have lake and canal frontage but don't jump in! It's not a lake you want to swim in. Take in the views and launch the kayak, but don't spend time getting wet here. Enchanted Lakes homes feature lot sizes of 7,500 - 15,000sqft with typical prices between $850,000 - $1.4M.
- Maunawili is a quiet, and slightly wetter lifestyle than the rest of Kailua as these homes are nestled between the Koolau and Olomana Mountains. Rainfall becomes more prevalent as you near the mountains so what you lose in sunshine, you gain in lush tropical landscapes! Plan on lot sizes around 10,000sq but due to its more rural setting, you will find some oversized lots of up to an acre or two. Maunawili homes for sale are typically priced between $1M and $2.7M.